Quick doesn't aways mean bad. Busy mums need to snack too...
As Miamians are making a mass exodus out of the Hurricane Irmas projected path, many people will be spending hours in the car headed for higher ground. Im thinking of all my loved ones there now. While your lives are severely disrupted, heres some positive (maybe even a little helpful) thoughts of easy meal/snacking ideas headed your way. A bright side??!
Perfectly good, nutritionally sound on the go mini-meals or snacks are portable and need very little if any prep.
1. Hummus off the spoon or as a dip with veggies is a classic go to choices. Packed with fibre, protein, and flavour, its a healthy fast food. Throw that in your bag on your way out the door. Keep cut veggies in your fridge at all times, if you can, for moments like this.
2. Ready made falafels with yogurt on the side is filling and refreshing if paired with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and you have a Med delight.
3. Fresh soup off the counter at your local grocery store. If you cant stand to wait any longer than 5 min wait before diggin'in, soup is an ideal pick. Milk carton like containers are omnipresent in supermarkets these days. Choose a non-milk based one.
4. Jacket potatoes with a filling is nurishing and comforting. Eat the skin- it provides added fiber along with the potatoes rich vitamin C and B vitamin content. Smart fillings are chicken and corn, baked beans (if not too much added sugar,) and grilled veggies with a sprinkling of shredded cheese.
5. Lastly, omelettes cooled and cut into squares are easy to eat and provide a blank canvas for tasty additions mixed in such as salmon, fresh herbs, mushrooms, and any other veggies you love. You can make a pan of these the night before. Quick and painless- do it once and you'll no longer need a recipe! I use muffin tins to make it every easier.
As for my favs, a portion of fresh fruit with almonds, cashews, and walnuts are an almost daily carry-me-over to the next meal. I never tire of it.
Ok, Miami - stay standing. And Irma, show us your cold shoulder.